Sunday, November 27, 2011

Half Marathon

I didn't get far in telling you how training was going for my half marathon and I'm not about to go into detail about it now. I'll just say that there were a lot of ups and downs and good weeks and bad weeks but in the end I did it and have no real injuries from it.

The race took place on October 15th at 9am. We live just over an hour away from the race so Jon and I got up early, packed up the car and headed there. I was really nervous because the longest run I actually run in my training was 8 miles and I was about to run 13! Also the 2 weeks before the race were super busy with Holly's wedding, friends and nursing injuries that we didn't really have the chance to train.

Jon was super excited for me and a great support through the whole process. He trained with me, cheered me on and was totally cool with sitting in the car for 2 hours as I ran. He also kept taking random photos of me...


and making me pose...


Since I was running by myself and didn't have a watch on me. I did my best to keep in pace with others around me who looked like they knew what they were doing. For the first 8 miles I kept close to some guys who I later found out were keeping pace at 10 minute miles! That surprised me, since I was pretty sure I would run about 11 or 12 minute miles. I figured if I've run this far with them already then I might as well try and keep running with them.

The course was hilly. Which I don't mind because for me going up hills is easy, it's the down hills kill my knee. From years of playing volleyball and falling on my knees, they begin to hurt when it's cold or I'm going downhill. So where everyone else speeds up on the downhills, I slow down and speed up on the uphills. There was one particular downhill that made me slow down so much that I lost the guys I was pacing myself with. At this moment I actually found myself pretty much running by myself through the woods.

It was beautiful.

This race has always just given me so much energy and excitement while running. Just seeing the beautiful colors and breathing in the fresh air. It's awesome.
I really wanted to stop and enjoy the view but I also wanted to keep my time and so I picked a woman wearing purple in front of me and made it my goal to catch her. But like I said before, going downhill hurts, I would start to get close to her and then we would go down a downhill and I would loose her again.

The last mile is on a paved road and I was still trying to catch the lady in purple. When I guy and girl ran up beside me. I told them "good job" and the guy said "We've been trying to catch you for awhile but you just shot up those hills!" I laughed and told them I was trying to catch the lady in purple and for the last mile the 3 of us ran together trying to catch that lady. I was nice to have someone to push myself against at the end.

As I neared the finish line, I searched for but could not find Jon and I realized that I probably was going to finish faster than I told him I would. I told him to be there after 2hrs and 20 min. and when I crossed the finish line I was at 2 hr and 15min. I crossed the line and turned around and there was Jon coming up to the road to wait for me. Missed me by a minute. He was super bummed about that but it was so nice to have him there because he had warm cloths, food and poweraid for me.

I felt really good after my race and even the few days after so that's a positive sign. The only thing that hurts is a nice big blood blister I've got on my toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment