Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday School

Today I had the opportunity to each Sunday school for some 4th and 5th graders. The lesson I taught was about Abraham and Isaac and how God tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice his son Isaac. Pretty heavy stuff for a kid to wrap their minds around but I think it went ok. They totally seemed to understand that it was just an example and a test that God was putting Abraham through.

Now my favorite part of the lesson was the activity. Each kid gets to decorate a quilt square to be combined with the other Sunday school classes' quilt squares to make one big quilt. Each quilt square showed something that we love God more than. For example Abraham's square would say "I love God more than my son Isaac" (I decorated a square for Abraham)


I also got to decorate the big square in the middle to say "I love God more than anything else, even..."


I also got to make a square for myself. Now my square would probably say "my wonderful Husband, Jon" but as I was discussing this with my friend Rebecca, we thought it would probably be better to do something material instead of a person. So my square said "the necklace my mom gave me"


I am going to be honest with you. My mom didn't actually give me this necklace, I inherited it after she died. (but I didn't feel like explaining this to my Sunday School class) My dad gave this necklace to my mom (he had it specially made and everything) and I remember nights when my parents were going out and my mom would take out the necklace to wear. She didn't have anything to hang her necklaces on so it would usually get tangled up and while she was getting ready I would sit on her bed and untangle the necklace for her so she could wear it. I can't remember how many times I did that for her but it's enough that I always associate that necklace with those happy nights. That's why this necklace is so special to me but even though it is so special, I still love God more. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment