Friday, February 4, 2011

Emma

I just finished listening to an audiobook of Emma by Jane Austen. I am not really a fan of Jane Austen’s novels but I have made it my goal to get through them all. Listening to them helps a ton because even though they are boring books, my drive to work is boring so putting two boring things together somehow cancels out their boringness.
Now boring may not be the right word to describe how I feel about these stories,  I don’t mean like text book boring or “I don’t understand what I’m reading but I’m just going to read it till the end of the page” boring. I just mean that they are not my kind of books. There is a lot of narrative and “he said, she said what” and who is in love with who etc. The kind of stuff I get bored with because I like my novels to have a bit more action.
Now I will have to say that over all Emma is very well written and a good story. I could sum the story up in a lot less words than Austen tells it in but I will not do that for you. Instead I will recommend watching a classic teen movie that came out in 1995. This movie is based on Emma and set in the 90’s. It is about a high school teenager named Cher who has the coolest closet ever and I've decided my husband is going to build me one just like it.

I made Jon watch this movie with me the other day because I hadn’t seen it in so long and I remembered liking it. And after the movie was over he said “I now understand high school a little bit better”.

No comments:

Post a Comment