Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dad's Granola

A few years ago my mom started making my dad homemade granola and when I was still living at home I started eating that granola. I fell in love with it and now need it every morning to start my day off right. I've kept the tradition going by making granola for my dad and I. Since I make granola about every two weeks I have the recipe memorized and it's going to be hard for me to write down because it changes every week depending on how I am feeling and what ingredients I have available.

The first place I will start is what my recipe is based off of. I got this recipe out of a cook book I inherited from my mom and I think is the recipe she used to make her granola from.


The recipe is called Crunchy Granola and it is from More-with-Less Cookbook

Ingredients

Mix together
1/2 to 1c Coconut
4c rolled oats
1c sunflower seed
1c wheat germ
1/4 to 1/2c sesame seed
1c peanuts or chopped walnuts

Bring to a boil
1c honey or brown sugar
1/2 c oil
1T cinnamon

Pour honey mixture over dry ingredients. Mix together. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake about 30min at 325. Cool and break into chunks.


Now this is the recipe that I base my recipe off of. I don't use sesame seeds and I add pecans and almonds to the mix. I also only use honey and sometimes instead of using cinnamon I use vanilla. (again this just depends on what I feel like making that day)
I mixed all the ingredients together and then make a little "bowl" so that the boiled mixture goes to the middle of the bowl instead of the sides.


Bring the oil, honey and vanilla to a boil and let them bubble up and get big. But be careful so you don't burn them. I usually only let it boil up for about a minute. Then pour into dry ingredients, mix and spread onto cookie sheet.


Bake until it's a nice brown color. Let cool, add some raisins or bananas and enjoy! It turns out pretty good and it so packed full of good stuff that you don't need much to fill up for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment