Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sabriel


I was suppose to read this book a few years ago when I took a Children Fantasy Literature class at the U. I never got past the 2nd chapter until Jon and I went on vacation last week.

Now there is a reason why I never got past the second chapter until now. When I started reading the book, I had in mind that it would be "Children's Fantasy story" like Harry Potter or the Chronicles or Narnia but it isn't. And since it was not what I was expecting I had a hard time reading it. (I also was suppose to finish it in one night because it was a May term class and we had to read one book a night in order to keep up with the readings)

The story is about good vs evil and the main character is our Heron, it all very good stuff and the making of a good story, its just the content that bothers me. The "good" are humans and the "bad" are dead things/creatures (I imagine zombies/vampires/ghosts/etc). Now it is a well written book and very interesting (I actually read the whole thing and I kinda want to read more of the books in the series). But I would not give it to my children to read. It may be written for a lower reading level but the content of the story is for a much more mature audience.

I wont go into detail about what happens in the story because I believe you should read it for yourself. But I will say that I really liked and I even though it was 500 pages I managed to finish it really fast - so fast that I had to go find another book to read for the rest of the cruise. So it's a good entertaining type of story, doesn't take much thought and keeps you occupied for a few hours. And if you don't mind reading about zombies then this is a good book to read.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment