Monday, December 13, 2010

Audiobooks

Do you ever feel guilty when you pick up a book to read and realize there are a hundred other things you could be spending your time doing? Well I managed to find a way to solve that problem. I LOVE to read and being able to read the books I love without feeling like I could be doing something else is great. How do I do it? I listen to Audiobooks.
Audiobooks are great because you can listen to them while doing something else. I have a pretty long commute to work so listening to books in the car is great but I also listen to them when I am doing laundry or working on a project around the house.
Your local Library is a great place to find audiobooks, you can either go to the library and get CDs /tapes of books or most libraries have books online that are also available. All you have to do is find the book you want and download it to your computer.
If you can’t find what you are looking for at the library, another great resource that I use often is www.librivox.org. “LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain.” They have a huge catalogue of audiobooks that are free to download and listen to. The only thing is, is that their audiobooks are read by volunteers so you may have a different reader for every chapter of a book – if this bothers you than I would stick to the library.
Now if you are looking for a good narrator I recommend listening to any of the books Jim Dale has read. He has a great voice and is really easy to listen to. He is the person who narrates all the Harry Potter books – which by the way are awesome books and if you’ve read them already I recommend listening to them too. Here is Jim Dale’s website with a list of all the works he’s read www.jim-dale.com.
One of my favorite audiobooks I’ve listened twice within the last year is “The Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss.  I totally recommend reading or listening to this book and just the fact that I’ve listened to it twice in the last year should say something. Here’s Patrick Rothfuss’ website: www.patrickrothfuss.com.
Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment