Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tina's Blanket - Part 1

For my first blog I am going to write about a baby blanket I am making for my cousin's little girl. The Baby Shower is in January which gives me less than a month to complete this project.

First I picked out the fabric, because I don't have much time to spend on this quilt I chose a simple block pattern consisting of 2 colors. I found out from my cousin that she painted the baby room pink and brown so those are the colors I am using in the quilt.

A time saving trick I learned from reading other quilting blogs is instead of cutting out a bunch of squares and sewing them together (which takes more time). Start by cutting strips of the fabric, I chose to make my blocks 4 inches wide, so I cut 4 inch wide strips.

Then sew those strips together. Since I only have two colors, I sewed all the strips together alternating colors.

Once I sewed all my strips together, I cut perpendicularly along the strips to create 4 inch strips of squares alternating in color.

Then I took the new strips and alternating the colors, sewed those together to make the top layer of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment