Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pam's Visit!

I had the pleasure of hosting one of my best friends this week. She stayed for 2 nights and we packed as much stuff as we could in those two days/nights she was here visiting. We checked out all sorts of great places and I became tourists in my own town. So I am going to attempt to be a critic and write reviews for each place we went because they were all great and we had so much fun.
Birchwood Café                                               
This is a great little restaurant nestled in a Minneapolis’ Seward Neighborhood. The place is full of earthy-granola type people, which makes for a fun relaxed atmosphere. Local artists’ work cover the walls and change every so often so the place always looks new. There is usually some pretty great stuff and they are all for sale!
Their food is organic and delicious! Since we went there for lunch I was craving something on the lighter side so I ordered a sandwich. I had a Cherry Turkey and Hazelnut Sandwich served with blue chips and salsa. The salsa was awesome, homemade and not too spicy. The sandwich was amazing! I don’t even know what was all in the sandwich, besides the turkey, cherries and hazelnut, but I totally recommend getting it.
Uptown: 
After we had our delicious meal at the Birchwood café, Pam and I went shopping around Uptown. Pam needed hiking pants so we went to the Columbia store – where the service was awesome and we had a lot of great help. Than we checked out the Northface store – which didn’t have great service and was a lot busier but we were able to find pants! We of course had to stop into Juut and smell the Aveda products, Pam got a great little tea ball for her tea there and I had fun checking out the products. After wandering through a few other stores we went to Urban Outfitters, found some great stuff and ran into an old acquaintance of ours who happened to be working there. It was nice to see her.  
Applebee’s
 Applebee’s is one of those classic places that you go to just to hang out. You don’t go for the food but more for the price and the atmosphere.  I had gathered a few of us together so they could see Pam and say hi. We were all hungry so we headed over to Applebee’s because it is cheaper and the Viking’s game was on and the guys wanted to watch it. Applebee’s usually has half price appetizer’s after 9pm but since the game was on the half price apps started at 7pm so we all ordered apps and enjoyed! There is nothing too special about these so I wont go in depth.
True Grit
Once our bellies were full from Applebee’s, we decided we weren’t tired and so went to AMC to see a movie. We went and saw True Grit. Good old classic Cowboy movie, with a lot of shooting bad guys and riding horses. I really enjoyed it. I thought the actors/actress were very talented. The only thing that weirded me out was Matt Damon as a cowboy… I had a hard time taking his character seriously. Otherwise the movie was great… little gory at times but good.
French Meadow Bakery
Another great place that offers organic food! This place has a very welcoming atmosphere. With the high ceilings and families at every other table makes you want to just grab a big cup of Joe and make yourself at home. The place is a bakery so they have a ton of amazing looking baked goods on display.  I decided to stay away from these because I like to have a good healthy wholesome breakfast to start my day off. For this meal I chose Organic Granola, served with whole milk and a Chai Tea Latte. The granola was baked to perfection, it was crunchy and very flavorful. It also came with enough raisins for every bite – which made me happy. The latte was also very good and the barista did an excellent job getting the perfect amount of foam on the top. If you are not into granola they also served many normal breakfast-type meals made with their own twist. I think I am going to have to back to try some of them because they looked amazing. Definitely recommend this place.
MIA:
 I love museums/art galleries. So we went to the Minnesota Institute of Art and walked around and check out all the cool stuff for about an hour. Right now they have a Native American display going on and some cool new modern art type stuff. There are also other displays going on but we didn’t have time to enjoy them. And apparently it’s a great place to take a baby. We met a dad who brought his 10 month old and let the baby crawl around on the floor as he checked out the artwork.
Games, Pizza and movies
                For Pam’s last night here we wanted to be able to hang out and have fun and just enjoy company. So we invited another friend over and the four of us ordered Stuffed Crust Pizza Hut pizza, played Settlers than watched Despicable Me and Spider Man 2. It was a great relaxed night. I may have fallen asleep during Despicable me but it was still great to have good friends around.

No comments:

Post a Comment